Herbal medications are very popular. According to North American surveys 30-40% of the population report using herbal medications or similar alternative treatments.
Why does my dentist care about herbal medications?
Herbal medications can put you at risk because they interact with important medications we use in dentistry.
- Acacia – can decrease the absorption of Amoxicillin, and therefore alter the effectiveness of this antibiotic
- John’s Wort & Valerian – can increase the effects medications such as Codeine, benzodiazepines (Lorazepam), or sedative agents used in our office during sleep dentistry.
Other medications alter normal functions in your body:
- Ginkgo, ginseng, green tea, garlic (starting with the letter ‘G’) – these all affect your body’s ability to stop bleeding. This is very important in surgery and relevant to your body’s ability to heal.
For these reason we may recommend you stop taking some of your herbal medications prior to treatment to prevent possible complications.
“Drug interactions with herbal medications can put you at risk”
“Report any medications, including herbal medications, to your dentist.”
COVID-19 Safety Measures. Read More
COVID-19 Safety Measures:
The health of our patients is our top priority. That being said, we have gone above and beyond the recommended guidelines to ensure the safety of all our patients as well as team members.
With everyone’s wellbeing in mind, here are some of the COVID-19 safety measures we have put into place:
- Medical grade air purifiers in every room.
- Full sanitation of the treatment rooms in between each patient.
- Social distancing when permitted.
- Spread out appointments to minimize the number of people in the office.
- Mandatory mask wearing for all individuals entering the office.
- Patient Covid-19 screening prior to appointments.
- A written Covid-19 questionnaire and temperature check once in the office.
- Hand sanitation before and after entering clinical area.
- Anyone exhibiting any Covid-19 related symptoms will be required to postpone their appointment in the office.
The reason we have set the bar so high is simply for your protection. We have built a welcoming and safe environment to ensure you feel comfortable while visiting our office.
Thank you for your patience and understanding through this time.
We look forward to seeing you.